Job Title: Caretaker
Reporting to: Headteacher
Hours of Work: Upto 10 hours per week - flexible to suit candidate
Employer: Worcestershire County Council, based at Astley CE Primary School
To maintain a clean, attractive, secure and welcoming site through a process of routine and scheduled maintenance and compliance of buildings, grounds, fixtures and fittings. Forming a strong part of a dedicated team where the health, well-being and safety of pupils is paramount. To demonstrate flexibility, initiative, sensitivity and commitment to the role and the school community.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Have a good standard of practical knowledge and skills in relation to building maintenance.
- Being able to work as part of a team and using own initiative under direction of the Headteacher.
- Work within clearly defined rules and procedures involving decisions chosen from a range of established alternatives. Decisions have a noticeable effect on the internal operations of the school or on the provision of service to pupils or parents.
- Have responsibility for the proper use and safekeeping of equipment have responsibility for the security and maintenance of the school buildings and school site. Keyholding responsibilities. Willingness to open up school buildings.
- Work requires a good level of physical fitness. You will be required to undertake training to ensure you can work safely and within legislation.
- Work includes elements of both inside and outside work which may include exposure to moderate noise, heat, cold or difficult surroundings/conditions.
- To participate in annual Child Protection and Safeguarding training and updates.
- To be aware of KCSIIE Part 1 and understand how to report concerns.
- To report safeguarding concerns to the Designated Safeguarding lead or their Deputy.
- Support the day to day safety of the children and adults using the school site
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuous professional self-development in relevant areas.
- Attend staff INSET days as deemed necessary by the headteacher.
- Carry out any tasks that may be reasonably required by Headteacher
- Contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of school premises.
Personal and professional conduct
- Adhere to school policies with regards to professional conduct within and outside school, including social media.
- Demonstrate positive attitudes, values and behaviours to develop and sustain effective relationships within the school community.
- Respect individuality and cultural diversity.
- Uphold public trust in the education profession.
- Maintain high standards of attendance and punctuality and have proper professional regard for the ethos, policies and practices of the school.
Knowledge and Skills
A Caretaker should demonstrate an active knowledge and understanding of –
- Relevant qualification and/or experience/practical skills in one of more of the following areas:
- Building work/repairs
- Organisation and communication skills
- Knowledge of Health & Safety; manual handling; COSHH
- Work constructively as part of a team, understanding school roles and responsibilities and own position within these.
This post is exempt from the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act and ALL convictions and/or cautions must be declared.
The post holder will be subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure and barred list check to satisfy child protection requirements.
At all times priority is given to the safeguarding of young people and that Safeguarding Policies and Procedures are followed.
We will contact past employers and explore any gaps in work history.
We reserve the right to carry out online searches via a search engine on applicants if we deem it is needed.
Astley CE Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
We strongly encourage visits to the school and welcome telephone calls to discuss.
Closing date: 15th March 2024
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if sufficient candidates apply.
Interview Date: To be confirmed